Paving the transition path to help families find hope and practical advice

Did You Know . . .

  • Keeping an ongoing portfolio on your individual with disabilities is a helpful tool. So, start at the diagnosis and continue throughout their education process.
  • MA's Chapter 688 establishes a planning process. It identifies services or supports which may be needed through the adult service system, once your individual has graduated or turns 22.
    • Chapter 688 appeals can be made to the Bureau of Transitional Planning (BTP). For additional Information, call 617-573-1722.
    • Chapter 688 is commonly referred to as "Turning 22 Law."
    • For additional information on Chapter 688, click here. 
    • Individuals outside of MA should refer to the IDEA (see information below).
  • Before your child turns 18, you should have the following in order:
    • Adult Psychological/IQ. Tests
    • Adaptive Behavior Assessments
    • Medical History
    • Educational History (Including IEPs/Assessments and Progress Reports)
    • Guardianship Status
    • Copy of Social Security Card
    • Copy of Birth Certificate.
  • An individual with disabilities – before the age of 22 – should be applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). This can be done by a parent or a legal guardian. In addition, an application for federal health insurance should also be filed.
  • Federal health insurance has to be refiled annually on time. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT because their will be a lapse in coverage, if not submitted on time.
  • The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a Special Education law. It contains a number of requirements related to transition. The focus is on the school district’s obligation to provide information on transitional services before a young adult turns 22. If you are not being educated on what to expect when your individual turns 22, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR THIS INFORMATION.
  • is a good resource to find state agencies serving individuals with disabilities.
  • These books are a great resource:
    • "The Special Needs Planning Guide" by John W. Nadworny and Cynthia R. Haddad
    • "Legal Planning for Special Needs in Massachusetts: A Family Guide to SSI, Guardianship, and Estate Planning" by Barbara Jackins, Esq.


Website Builder